Schwimmming! Plus bebes!

Lane Lines 1

We decided to test out the trial pass at the gym this afternoon. I found a speedo on clearance at a local sports store, and purchased it along with a swim cap and goggles with palpable excitement. I think the checkout guy thought I was nuts.

E. and I went to the gym and waited for the people to validate (read: give us another sales pitch) our test-drive pass, then finally we were permitted past the front barrier. I almost skipped into the locker room. I felt a bit lost at first; I’d had a tour but I couldn’t remember where everything was. I sorted it out and saw a lot of leopard print panties in the process (apparently we Idahoans like our leopard print!) and made it to the pool before E. It’s on the small side, only 3 lanes (only 2 were up) and though the coordinator had told me the best time to come, it was a little crowded. I got nervous again. I know the etiquette for lane sharing, and can circle swim or split a lane no-problem, but swimmers with their caps & goggles are a little intimidating looking. I sat in a chair and worried my workout in its ziplock baggie for a few minutes.

The most intimidating swimmer of the bunch stopped for a break and lifted her mirrored goggles. She had some kind of waterproof mp3 system in her ears, but she signaled to me and offered to split the lane. Yes! Thank you! I jumped in. Yippee!

E. came out a bit later, and as people left, we ended up in a lane together. He didn’t have goggles and was mostly there for moral support, but oh my goodness, I LOVED IT. I… I haven’t swam laps, like an actual workout, in over 20 years. My 17 year old self would have rolled her eyes, but I was so pleased with what I was able to do. I remembered all my stroke techniques and could hear my coach (Larry Swim, no kidding, that was his name, he was amazing) in my head. He taught me well, and though I’m sure he would have corrected my form if he had been there, it felt really great.

In all I only swam a little over a half mile. It kicked my butt, but was totally exhilarating. I loved it. I can’t believe I’ve never even tried this here. I was just so daunted by the distance and the cost — and hey, maybe that was a good thing anyway with my heart & all, but after today, I’m like, “It’s worth it. Whatever it costs. Here are my pennies.”

Well, that’s not totally true. I am considering cost and have a crazy-glue and duct tape plan to save the most money… which I will talk about more tomorrow since this is getting long. I’m off to shop for a pull buoy and zoomers. Woot!

p.s. My brother and his wife had their baby last night! So exciting and isn’t he adorable?

new nephew!

p.p.s. And my little sister has an update on her Miracle Baby, too. I seriously love being an aunt.

Comments

1. Megan B says

Happy and excited for you! My husband got back in the pool Nov. ’13 and swam a flippin’ 5k race last July! He’s still at it!
    I just weaned my third and final baby which us when I said I would get active again. Swim? Bike? Dance? Not sure yet!!

• says

5K race! WOW.

Well hopefully you have some more ‘up and at ‘em’ than I had, I said that after I weaned B. And here I am finally getting active. He’s 5. :op

2. says

Awwww…congrats to Ryan. I bet your parents are literally falling all over themselves with all these grand babies to love on!

• says

You know it, Heather. You know it!! This makes eleven, and every one of them is a blessing and adored!

• Grandma Debbie says

Oops, looks like Sabe hacked my computer! It’s me that has 11 grandbabies, not Sabe!!

3. says

Just caught up…so much good news! I need to find some exercise that I enjoy, I ‘m feeling a bit blah.

4. Valena says

YAY! Lots of awesome news. How fun that you had such a great time schwimmin :)

And those babies?? Absolutely darling!

5. Kathy says

Yay for swimming! My daughter begs me every day of the summer to take her after I get off work (we live in the oven of AZ). I always grudgingly take her ( I work outdoora and all I want when I get off work is a shower), and then end up loving it. I love the exhilarating feeling after laps are done!

• says

Oh man, the two years I lived in AZ, I basically lived in the pool. Well, the summer months anyway. I dragged my husband down there for 6 months and he haaaaaated it. It does take some getting used to, but I MISS the land where pools are so COMMON. It’s unbelievable to me that the nearest one to me is a half an hour away. For kicks I pulled up google maps to show my kids how the cities I lived in (Gilbert & Mesa) had pools EVERYWHERE.

Anyway, sigh. Enjoy that pool! :o)

6. Kathy says

Oops! Forgot to add that your new nephew is a little darling! He’s so alert looking! Congrats to Mommy and Daddy and the whole loving family!

• says

Thank you! He is super alert looking! They joke that he hates sleep. I think all newborns do ;o)

7. Natalie says

The blue water is so inviting! I swam in high school, too. I wasn’t super great but I loved it. I’m in the same boat around here – 20 minutes each way to a decent lap swimming pool… and with four kids 7 and under + homeschooling, I don’t think I’ll get to swim any time soon. Enjoy! I’m BLUE with envy.

• says

That’s just a stock photo, I wish my pool looked that awesome! I keep forgetting to snap a pic while I’m there.

I totally hear you! I think that is part of what’s kept me out of the water – life can be crazy!

8. shannon says

yay for swimming! With your health issues, if swimming is a good way for you to work out your whole body (and a safe way to get your heart rate going) sounds to me like it is a worthy expense. Preventative medicine in a way.

beautiful baby, all wrapped in hospital blankets. I want to hug him.

• says

Yes, that’s my thinking too. I swam a mile last night and felt so good! I could have kept going!

Me toooooo! A brand new nephew all the way in Florida. BOO HOO! I hope they come visit this summer.

No comment form? Comments are automatically turned off after a handful of days to help prevent spam. But you are more than welcome to contact me if you have any questions or comments.